SUMMER SCHOOL CURITIBA 2013
Resource Management and Sustainable Development
3rd – 20th June
The Summer School is organized by IfaS – Institute of Applied Material Flow Management, an Institute of the University of Applied Sciences Trier located at the Environmental Campus Birkenfeld, in association with the Brazilian Universidade Positivo (UP), specifically its Graduate Program in Environmental Management, located in Curitiba.
The programme is supported by the DAAD, German Academic Exchange Service, funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF).
The Resource Management and Sustainable Development Summer School Curitiba 2013 highlights the contents of the comprehensive IMAT Programmes organized by IfaS. It will include lectures, group work, cultural and social activities and thematic excursions, related to the broad topic of International and Regional Material Flow Management.
- The event is scheduled for the period between 3rd and 20th of June 2013.
- It is designed for up to 45 participants.
- Candidates for the Summer School are all undergraduate students in the last stage of their studies and graduate students, both from any scientific background. Students are coming from Universidade Positivo and other South American Universities.
- After successful completing the programme, participants will receive a certificate jointly issued by IfaS and Universidade Positivo.
The Summer School Curitiba 2013 will feature IfaS theoretical foundation and practical approach in Material Flow Management applied to managing regional, industrial and urban metabolism processes in a sustainable manner, together with the local perspective supplied by the UP Graduate Program in Environmental Management.
In order to provide the necessary background for students to engage in a regional MFM exercise, the following topics, among others, will be covered in lectures:
- Global Environmental Sustainability Strategies
- Sustainable Waste and Resource Management
- Regional and Industrial MFM Strategies
- Sustainable Urban Planning Strategies
- Sustainable Waste Water Management
- Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency
- German Culture, Language and History
The lectures and presentations of international showcases are accompanied by working sessions to apply the knowledge on practical cases under the supervision of the German experts. Therefore, participants will learn to analyze a regional or industrial system, develop optimisation strategies as well as to conduct business plans and marketing and implementation-oriented communication strategies. Withal, participants will be introduced to the German culture, history and will gain some basic knowledge of the German language.
The structure of the Summer School Curitiba 2013 is composed of three basic parts:
1. Sustainable Resource and Waste Management workshop, featuring lectures and discussions on Energy Management and Renewable Energy Technologies, Sustainable City Planning, Industrial MFM and Cleaner Production, as well as a briefing of IfaS projects and Brazilian initiatives.
2. Group work, aimed at the development of a Regional Resource Master Plan for Curitiba, in addition to ideas for future development trends and challenges in Curitiba
3. Thematic excursions, to sites of technologic, management and ecologic interest such as: waste treatment or disposal sites, waste water treatment facilities, energy generation facilities.