The University Positivo Master’s degree Gradution Program in Industrial Biotechnology main objective is to provide scientific, professional and educational updating in Biotechnology, by offering essential and structural courses based on the last decades advances in the field, as well as by developing a dissertation scientific project in one of the specific areas: Agricultural and Industrial Food Processing Biotechnology; Environmental Biotechnology; Biofuels; Healthcare and Biomedical Biotechnology. The University Positivo Master’s degree Gradution Program in Industrial Biotechnology has an outstanding grade scale in the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES), a government agency responsible for the inspection and to assure the quality of all Graduate Programs in Brazil.
Biotechnology is characterized by the use of cellular and biomolecular processes to develop products and technology to improve life quality and preserve the environment. Although it involves activities that started more than six thousand years ago such as food development, including bread, cheese as well as techniques to preserve dairy products, Biotechnology was recognized as a fundamental science in the last decades and since then, it is considered one of the most prominent areas, with a major potential to significantly contribute to improve the planet life quality.
Nowadays, Biotechnology provides technology and innovative products for food development, treatment of human and animal diseases, reduction of ecological footprint, use of alternative energy as well as safer, cleaner and more efficient processes in the industry. Recent advances in the field have contributed to face and overcome the current challenges in our society in areas such as:
- Pharmaceutical Industry: production of antibiotics, hormones, vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, molecular kits for clinical diagnostic etc.
- Agriculture: production of biofertilizer, bioinsecticides, nematicides, hormones from vegetables, development of plants resistant to pest, hydric stress and high temperatures, cereals and tubers enriched with proteins and vitamins.
- Environment: biomonitoring, bioremediation for biological treatment of solid, liquid and gaseous effluents, contributing to preserve air, soil and aquatic environments.
- Beverage industry: production of beer, wine, sugar cane liquor (Brazil= “cachaça”), whiskey, vinegar etc.
- Production of bioenergy: obtained from plant biomass, mainly in ethanol and biodiesel power plants.
- Agro Food and Food processing Industry: production of cheese, yogurt, vinegar, baker’s yeast, fermented food, natural color additive, polysaccharides, substances used as food thickener etc.
- Nanobiotechnology: artificial tissues, use of microcapsules as vectors for therapeutic substances, microorganisms for water and soil decontamination.
- Production of enzymes: use of enzymes in the food, biofuels and pharmaceutical industry.
- Veterinary healthcare: vaccines, animal food production, nutritional and growth supplements, antiparasitic drugs, antibiotics, improved cattle breeds etc.
- Healthcare and biomedical areas: gene therapy, diagnostic and treatment based on genomics and proteomics.
- Forestry sciences: plants used for paper manufacturing, furniture etc.
- Cosmetic Industry: production of natural substances for skin treatment, anti aging products etc.
Engineers of Bioprocess, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Environment, Food, Agriculture, and Forestry Engineers, as well as Biologists, Pharmacists, Medical Doctors, Veterinary Doctors and many other professionals from several distinct areas.